Sunday, April 10, 2011

Living Room inspiration

 To read my summary/evaluation of Week One, click here.


While I'm busy doing other things, I'm also thinking about the Living Room. It needs a bit of a change, both in arrangement of furniture and in color scheme -- not that much can be done in terms of color scheme as the walls and carpet are not negotiable, but I'm thinking slipcovers on the chairs and new toss cushions.

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I'm going for a California vibe, lots of white, a feeling of ocean (but not seashells all over the place), a Zenlike feeling.

I know Maxwell says that the Living Room should be decorated in warm colors, and I pondered orange/yellow/sand as accent colors, but that's too earthy, or sunny, for the feeling I want to achieve. Then I remembered something I want to display in my Living Room.

The colors I'm thinking of as accent colors can be seen in this piece of pottery. I don't know if this is what my potter/artist friend intended, but I see this as an abstract seascape. I'd like to pick up on these colors in the cushions, and possibly in a bit of art. I'm thinking either white or cream for the slipcovers -- I photographed the pottery against my white jeans, and my cream dress pants. Yes, there is a subtle difference in those background colors. I apologize for the light splash from the flash, but the non-flash pictures didn't show the colors truly. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as we move forward toward Living Room week, please let me know.




4 comments:

  1. Lovely colours, and how good that you allready have some of the colours in your livingroom, the china cabinet, the ottoman and the dining table are the dark brown. The walls you have, seem to be white (not sure, pictures sometimes twist colours). Just some hints of blue/turquise/sea colour and sand colour. Sounds amazing.

    I would not be too conserned about having cold colours in your livingroom. I think it's truly up to you, what you see as nice looking. And with the dark browns and sand it will not look too cold.

    Oh, and I'm glad I was able to give some usefull ideas about the arrangement of furniture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, onshore! The walls are actually a sort of cream/off white color. And, as it turns out, the only slipcovers I can find ready made that will match for all three chairs are also a creamy off white.

    In order to do the furniture rearrangement, the china cabinet is going to have to go elsewhere, unfortunately.

    Thanks so much for your input... and gorgeous flower in your user picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think cream rather than white based on the pottery. on the other hand, you get a lot of snow up your way and so you might want to consider throw pillows in the blue or green to add some color. I know here in Dhahran, I crave color and can't understand why some idiot decided to paint everything on the compound the same damn color as the sandpit all around us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be going with cream slipcovers, as that's all I can find, and I think they'll play more happily with the walls and carpet. Thanks for your input, Colleen! (and yes, I can understand your craving for color! My craving for California has been fed by a very long dreary winter.)

    ReplyDelete