Monday, April 11, 2011

Here's to Kitchen Week!

Alana has posted an excellent overview of Kitchen Week on her blog (including an incredibly ambitious to-do list). My "to-do" isn't going to be quite as much of a to-do, so to speak.

In this post, I'll take a look at the traditional tasks of Week Two in a Cure, and then let you know what will (and will not) happen in my Hybrid Cure.

As set out in Alana's post, from the book:

According to Apartment Therapy, The Eight Step Cure, by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, Week Two is all about the kitchen. The following is from p.p. 72-73.

Bones:
Fix one thing in your home
Clean your kitchen from top to bottom and throw out old food
Buy a water filter and use it.

Breath:
Run your hands over every wall of your apartment.
Clear Space for an Outbox

Heart:
Buy fresh flowers
Determine your style

Head:
Find one new recipe and cook one meal at home
Choose the date for your housewarming.


Bones:  My major focus in the Kitchen will be to clean out the cupboards and decide what stays and what goes. I have a water filter, stored neatly in the cupboard. I have a feeling that's not what Maxwell meant when he said "Buy a water filter and USE IT" (upper case shouting is mine, all mine).


Breath:  Running my hands over the walls has never been a meaningful exercise for me, so that will not happen this Cure. Clearing space for an OutBox will entail emptying the full OutBox so that more things can be added.


Heart:  Flowers and I have a difficult relationship. I love the way they look, my allergies aren't keen on the fragrance. I may occasionally buy flowers, but I don't intend to do so on a regular, weekly basis.  I've determined my style to be spare, clean, California-modern. Sort of.


Head:  Cooking. An idea whose time has come. Housewarming? Not sure about that. I may have a few friends in to celebrate the clean, decluttered space, but I doubt I'll call it a housewarming. And invitations will *not* be sent out in the preferred M G-R manner.


I intend to do a Planning Post every morning, to let you know what I'll be working on that day. On Sunday I'll do a summary post to see if I achieved what I wanted to achieve.

So -- for today, Day One of Week Two, I plan to work on the food cupboard, and a couple of the drawers below the counter:





Now -- true confessions time: I was in need of something to do yesterday, as once I get into Curing mode, it's very difficult not to just keep going at things, so after I took the before pictures, I brought all the dusty dishes down from the top shelf, washed them, decided which to keep and which to bless others with; then dealt with the expired food. So today's part of the cupboard project is half done!

Of course, there's also the Storage Room:


The plan for that is just to wade in and start dealing with stuff.


So -- on to the day! (But first, breakfast...)

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of the daily planning post. If that gets cumbersome, you could just do a "before and after" daily post! So glad you tackled the cupboard--and drawer! Nothing like just starting. Good luck with the storage room. Lots of decisions, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Curing mode! It really gets one going and the cleaning and organizing goes like a breeze.

    ReplyDelete