Friday, May 6, 2011

Kick in the butt, SCB edition

Onshore just posted her own "kick in the butt" and I decided that was exactly what I need as well.

For one reason or another, I haven't accomplished as much in my home office/Writing Room or in the storage room as I had planned to this week. That has not all been bad, as I have accomplished other things, and have had some wonderful, serendipitous visits with friends over the course of the week.

I *did* look at the stacks of books waiting to go into the storage room, and a couple of nights ago made the decision that I was ready to let go of many of them, books that had meant something to Mum but that meant much less to me, some of my own that I know I'll never read again... so nearly 70 books are on their way out the door.

Next week is supposed to be Bathroom Week. I decided this morning that there is nothing crucial that needs to be done to the bathroom, nothing that can't wait (I need to wash the shower curtains but that can happen any time). So I've decided that I will be creative with my Hybrid Cure (creativity *is* supposed to be one of my hallmarks, after all) and declare the first part of next week to be an extension of this week. The second part of next week is unavailable, and I will be offline. (For a reason that delights me, and that you will hear about in due course.)

So, let's look at the tasks of Week Five and Week Five and a Half, with renewed vigor (having given myself the aforementioned kick in the butt):


Borrowing from Alana's post which kicked off this week, with my comments in italics... 

From The Book:
In Apartment Therapy, The Eight Step Cure, by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, Week Five deals with the Home Office, however humble it may be. The following is from p. 156.
 

Bones:
Take care of repairs this week. As previously admitted, my Cure is not worrying about repairs. I'll deal with them after the basics are done here.
Clean office area and related closets. The closet was dealt with in a previous week. Yay. "Clean Office Area" is waiting for "De-clutter Office Area" to be done. When the shelves are finally up, I think we'll all be amazed at how quickly I'm able to move along with the de-cluttering.
Vacuum, dust, and mop throughout. Later. Maybe in Week Seven, I'll get to the "Buy New Vacuum" step in this Cure, then, let the good times roll!

 
 Breath:
Declutter files An ongoing effort. Massive mountains of paper must still be turned into molehills.
Tackle cord octopus. Cord-topus will be dealt with when old computer goes to a new home, and wireless access is set up, both of which are in the grand plan.
Try a one-day fast. That's media fast, not food fast. I haven't actually sat down and watched an entire program on television since January 1, 2010. I don't feel the need of fasting from TV watching, somehow. I have tried a fast from computer use in the past, and have been able to do it, but will not be doing it this time around.
 

Heart:
Buy fresh flowers. With Mother's Day coming up on Sunday, I may buy some flowers in memory of my mother. This is the first Mother's Day since she died, and I'm mostly trying not to think about it.
Choose at least one soft or hard thing to add or subtract.Here's where I get into the tenuous territory of not really understanding how to determine whether soft or hard is needed. I just do things with the apartment until it feels right to me, not until it matches some mythic mathematical formula.
 
Head:
Cook three meals at home this week. Cooking and eating are an ongoing exercise.
Eat at home Sunday through Thursday. Since I eat at home 95% of the time, this is not really an issue. Eating *healthily* whether I'm at home or out is the real issue for me.
Go to bed early and read before sleep. Oops.
Optional: Look into wireless technology. This is one of the dominoes that is waiting for several other dominoes to do their thing first.



So -- what is it I really want to accomplish in the next few days? 

If the shelves get set up: Books can be moved onto one portion of said shelves. Keepsake boxes can be relocated from their current positions on chairs in the living room, and the filling of them can continue in the storage room. Other things that are currently stored (or "put") other places can be put away on the shelves. Filing can continue more easily.

If the shelves don't get set up: The books will stay on the bed for now. The keepsake boxes will stay in the living room, and I'll walk back and forth with things for them, as I am doing now. (That way *does* give me more exercise, I'll admit.) Things that are elsewhere will stay there for now. Filing will continue, but not as easily.


Okay, that's enough talking. On to action. *SCB kicks self in the butt*

3 comments:

  1. I do wish I could just pop over and set those shelves up for you! It would be a welcome escape from the chaos I've created for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one chaotic household to another! I would be concerned you'd hurt your back again if you worked on the shelves, but thanks for the wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh me too, I'd love to help out with the shelves, also I could move your livingroom furniture while at it.
    Have you noticed that often it's more fun to clean and organize in someone elses home than your own?

    I had remembered next week was bedroom. I also don't have that much to do in the bathroom so I can also continue a bit in the office.

    ReplyDelete